Wednesday 24 March 2010

Wikipedia

This is not the first time I have used Wikipedia. Several times, when I have been stuck for a piece of information before a class, an on-line search has produced a Wikipedia article. Clearly also, this is the reference tool of choice for today's students, as I have often heard them mention it. This Thing has led to me to go more deeply into it, and actually I find the whole concept pretty interesting: people joining forces to produce an article. I had heard it criticised for inaccuracy, and scaremongering about how easily information can be changed, so I was fairly sceptical abut what I would find. However, I looked at three articles about an author, my home city, and my old college - all of which I know well - and was pleasantly surprised. I suppose this bears out what the information article says about mistakes being quickly corrected by users. Makes sense. The 'discussion' sectin was soemthing I'd not been aware of before, and might be a way of finding peole with shared interests. Or maybe just oddballs. I decided not to join in with any comments because I didn't want to sign up for yet another thing. So all in all, I was a bit disappointed not to collaborate on an article but didn't find anything to add or correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment